Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Impulse

A man passes his high school girlfriend on a crowded street in a large city.  They haven't seen each other in 10 years, and to see each other is probably destiny, or something like that.

M:  (Generic girl name)? Is that you?
W:  O my gosh! (Generic boy name)!!!!
M:  It's so good to see you!  It's been...what? like 9 or 10 years?
W:  (Laughs) Yeah something like that.  What kept us from staying in touch for that long?!
M:  Just Life I guess...I've been so busy..that's no excuse though, I'm sorry...
W:  Don't be!  It's just as much my fault as it is yours.  Let's just be happy that it's happening now.
M:  (Laughs) Ok that sounds good to me! 
W:  So what brings you to (generic large city)?
M:  I'm actually here on business.  I know it's crazy but I took that big corporate job, and now I guess I'm a part of the system.
W:  Yikes! That's no good...what do you do?
M:  Well right now I just work for a guy, who works for a guy, who works for the CEO's secretary.  Did you get all that?
W:  Let me think...um...so you're kissing ass for a living?
M:  Haha i knew you'd catch on! Hey it's kinda cold out.  Do you maybe wanna maybe get out of the snow and come get something to eat with me?
W:  Ah.  I wish i could!  I'm sorry.. I'm meeting my fiance at somewhere at 9. 
M:  Fiance?
W:  Yeah! After two years he finally had the nerve to ask! 
M:  Wow...that's um...that's great..
W:  (laughs) Don't act too excited.
M:  ha. yeah. Well hey I guess I better let you go then..
W:  Yeah I guess so! It was so good to see you!
M:  Yeah you too..
.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really like what I wrote about this scene..but i love this scene. Maybe i should be more descriptive about the scene..maybe i should let 'em know what he's feeling a little better. The action: they meet each other on a street after 10 years.
    Conflict: She's engaged. It leaves itself unresolved.

    ReplyDelete